ABOUT OMIDYAR NETWORK
Omidyar Network India invests in bold entrepreneurs who help create a meaningful life for every Indian, especially the hundreds of millions of Indians in low-income and lower-middle-income populations, ranging from the poorest among us to the existing middle class. To drive empowerment and social impact at scale, we work with entrepreneurs in the private, nonprofit and public sectors, who are tackling India’s hardest and most chronic problems.
We make equity investments in early stage enterprises and provide grants to nonprofits in the areas of Digital Identity, Education, Emerging Tech, Financial Inclusion, Governance & Citizen Engagement, and Property Rights.
Omidyar Network India is part of the Omidyar Group, a diverse collection of companies, organizations and initiatives, supported by philanthropists Pam and Pierre Omidyar, founder of eBay.
We are seeking an Investment Associate to join our team, primarily focused on our Financial Inclusion, Education and Emerging Technology investments in India. Our existing portfolio includes segment leaders like Neogrowth, 1Mg, Vedantu, Teach For India, IndusOS, Intellegrow, Vistaar, ScripBox, Zest, Scripbox and exciting new companies like Kaleidofin, Toffee, Gramcover, Bon.
The Associate will be primarily responsible for deal sourcing, assessing business plans, performing research / competitive analysis / due diligence, supporting deal execution and portfolio management. There is potential for upward mobility with this position.
Responsibilities will include the following:
- Work with the team on building/refreshing strategy for FI, Education and Emerging Technology investments in India
- Help develop thematic investment thesis and build a pipeline of potential investment leads
- Support deal execution –build financial models and prepare investment memoranda
- Support due diligence efforts – review business plans and conduct competitive analysis
- Based on mutual agreement, one of the investment areas (FI / Education / Emerging Technology) will be the major focus area, while others will be the minor focus areas. The major and minor focus areas may change as well based on organisation strategy / priority
- Provide analytic and strategic support to ON funded organisations as needed
- Market scanning on potential competitors, acquisitions & partnerships
- Participate in follow-on financing discussions, build investment materials
- Assist in building exit pathways
- Work closely with portfolio companies on building strategy, building and executing hiring plans, staying abreast of market trends impacting portfolio companies and feeding this back to the portfolio companies, working on fundraising and exit efforts as appropriate
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS REQUIREMENT
- 3-6 years of business experience conducting company evaluation and financial analysis, ideally at a venture capital firm, investment bank, management consultancy.
- MBA from a good business school preferred
- Financial services/Education/Emerging Technology domain knowledge (either work experience in the sector or consulting/banking experience) will be very useful
- Strong analytic, strategic thinking and project management skills
- Strong communication and writing skills
- Comfort with working in a highly collaborative environment
- Prior demonstrated interest in / experience with social entrepreneurship and creating positive social impact